While there is no way to guarantee that your home won't be broken into, there are a number of steps and home safety tips you can follow to help increase the safety of your home and family. Whether you are home or away, trying to prevent home invasion or trying to be prepared in case of a fire, being familiar with home security tips can help you take the proper precautions for any situation.
Security While You Are Home
- Make sure your doors are equipped with good locks.
- Eliminate hiding places around your home by keeping your bushes and trees well trimmed.
- Install exterior motion detector lights to make sneaking up on your home extra difficult.
- Make sure any free standing structures on your property like sheds are locked.
- Have peepholes installed in your front door so you can see who is there without having to open the door first.
When You Leave On Vacation
- Be sure to stop your newspaper delivery and hold your mail if you are gone for more than a few days. Or arrange for someone to pick it up.
- Loud alarms draw attention to burglars whether you are in your home or not and help to prevent them from trying to enter your home unnoticed.
- Use security signs on your windows and in your yards to let would be burglars know your home is professionally monitored.
Fire Safety Tips
- Install smoke alarms on each floor of your home and test them regularly to make sure they work.
- Verify that all your appliances are off when you leave your home. It's cliché but important not to leave the iron on.
- Have a safety plan that everyone knows, including how to get out of the house and where to meet away from your home.
- Don't leave open flames like candles or pots on a stove unattended.
- Store rope ladders near second or third story windows in case the stairs are unusable.
- Make sure that all your family members know the best exits from every room.
- Keep fire extinguishers easily accessible and make sure they are charged regularly.